Food Services Fieldwork

Return to full Program Information

Students preparing for Clinical Placement should visit our Preclinical / Clinical webpage and our Clinical FAQ for details and information on the process.

Applicants who do not currently work in the Food Service Department of a Health Care Facility or do not become employed during the duration of the program will be required to register for a Fieldwork Placement. YOU MUST register for the Preplacement/Clinical Service course (HLTH10223) to complete required health clearances prior to registration in WORKHCF02 – Food Services Fieldwork (WORKHCF02).

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

The College recognizes that many adult students bring work or other life experiences to their studies that are comparable to what is taught in the classroom. The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition process (PLAR) allows eligible students to obtain academic credit prior learning that matches the outcomes of college courses.

If you are currently employed in the Food Services Department of a Health Care Facility, you are eligible to use the PLAR process for the Field Placement component. You require approval prior to registering for the PLAR course. Evidence of employment is confirmed with a letter of verification from your Health Care Facility that includes:

  • The employer acknowledging the student is in the Food Services Certificate Program.
  • Confirmation that you are employed as a Food Service Worker including an outline of duties performed.
  • Start date of employment.
  • Number of hours worked in this position.
  • Confirmation that the employer understands this letter is being used as an exemption from the practical portion of their course.

Once approval is granted, the student may contact the PLAR office for registration information.  A PLAR fee must be paid upon registration.